Wednesday, May 22, 2013

B.K. vs. A.K.

One of the best and truest quotes I have heard lately is "I was a really great parent before I had kids."
I was very quick to pass naive judgment in my energetic carefree kid-less 20s. 

"I will NEVER have a toddler running around in public with a pacifier in his mouth."
"I will NOT have a kid who only eats 4 things."
"Our kids will NOT play video games."
Blah blah blah.

Well, who has two thumbs and is guilty of letting her kids do all of the above? THIS MOMMY!

I recently stopped in at our local gymnastics facility to sign my daughter up for classes. There was a mother there watching her daughter practice while also trying to keep her other children entertained in the waiting area. She had brought a slew of books, toys, snacks, etc. to keep them occupied. She had 4 kids total (=3 "watching" sister in gymnastics). One of her kids looked to be between 1 1/2 and 2 and had a pacifier in his mouth. I realized while talking to this adorable little guy how much I had changed.

Old me -- B.K. (Before Kids) would have thought: "Oh my goodness. Get that thing out of his mouth so he can talk. Ridiculous. I will NEVER do that."

A.K. (After Kids): "Soldier on, Sister. Soldier on."

No comments:

Post a Comment